E-mail MeJames V. Pearson
888-725-2609 (Toll Free)
Mr. Pearson has over 30 years experience in business law, business management and consulting. He has received a Martindale-Hubbell top AV rating for attorneys and is President of Pearson & Paris, P.C., a prestigious Colorado law firm which emphasizes commercial transactions and litigation, real estate, banking, insurance and recreation law, family law, and criminal defense. Mr. Pearson has an extensive background in business transactions and litigation and he routinely advises on matters related to both. He founded and is chairman of the board of RiverReach Youth Initiative, an organization that helps young people gain a sense of responsibility to their community and environment, rewarding participating youth with recreational outings. He holds a B.S. and Juris Doctorate degrees and lectures frequently in the areas of business and related liability issues including recreational liability. He is also a past contributing editor for Adventure Travel Business Magazine and the American Bicyclist.
EMPLOYMENT AND PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
Founding Partner and President, Pearson & Paris, P.C.
Founding Partner and President, Pearson, Horowitz & Burnett, P.C. The firm acted as general counsel for a variety of business clients on a regional, national and international level.
Chairman and Founder, RiverReach Youth Initiative, a non-profit organization which provides outdoor recreational opportunities for disadvantaged population segments. RiverReach recently merged with another similar organization, cityWILD.
Board Member, American Mountain Guides Association, a non-profit organization that represents the interests of American mountain guides by providing support, education and standards.
Former Chairman of the Board and General Counsel, Adventure Travel Society, an international association which emphasizes the development of adventure travel and the economic benefits of eco-tourism.
Former National Defense Counsel for Outfitters and Guides Insurance Program, The Connecticut Insurance Group (program was discontinued).
Former Advisory Board of Trustees, American Wildlands, an international non-profit organization which emphasizes preservation of North America's natural resources.
Former Board Member, Denver Rail Heritage Society, a non-profit organization which is dedicated to preserving historic rail travel in the Denver, Colorado metropolitan area, including operation of a trolley system.
Former Advisory Board Member, Arapahoe Community College, Colorado Springs, CO.
Former Board Member and Founder, Alpenglow Mountainsport, Inc., a retail and wholesale supplier of equipment related to outdoor adventure and recreation.
Licensed Colorado Real Estate Broker
Certified Ski Instructor, emeritus status, Professional Ski Instructors of America
Member: Denver and Colorado Bar Associations; Federal Bar Association, International Law Society; Colorado Real Estate Commission.
NOTEWORTHY TRANSACTIONS AND REPORTED CASES
Acquisition of Dynamic Plastics, Inc. and Mulay Plastics by Xpectra, Inc.
Kabool Electronics Co., Ltd. Investment in Caleb Technology Corp.
Omnibancorp and KeyCorp Merger.
U.S. Global Opportunities Offering and Investment in Glomato.com.
Areas of Practice
- Business Transactions
- Corporate Law
- Insurance Defense
- Recreation Law
- Travel and Tourism
- Banks and Banking
- Commercial Litigation
- International Law
- Colorado, 1978
- U.S. Federal Court, 1978
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D. - 1978
- University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado
- M.B.A. - 1976
- Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- B.S. - 1971
- Major: Government and Economics
- Litigation Basics for the Layperson, 2006
- Declaratory Judgment Actions, Insurance Coverage and Statutes of Limitation a Issues for Counsel, 2006
- Compensation Issues in the Adventure and Recreation Industry, 2005
- Staffing Issues in the Adventure and Recreation Industry, 2004
- Organizing a Business: Risk Management Perspectives, 2003
- Rick Management and Insurance, International Adventure Travel and Outdoor Show, 2002
- Risk Management and Insurance Issues in Sport Tourism, Journal of Vacation Marketing, 1999
- The Americans With Disabilities Act, The Outdoor Network, Fall, 1997
- America Outdoors Operations and Compliance Manual, November, 1996
- Employment Law - Fundamentals, September, 1996
- Limited Liability Companies -America Outdoors, February, 1996
- Market Expansion Through Special Populations, World Congress on Adventure Travel and Eco-Tourism, November, 1995
- A Walking Nightmare - Employment Law Fundamentals, Outdoor Retailer, February, 1995
- Legal Liability and Insurance -- What You Don't Know Can Put You Out of Business, Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, August, 1994
- Economics - The Engine That Powers the Vehicle Of Eco-Tourism, Adventure Travel Society Newsletter, Winter, 1994
- Legal Issues Which Limit the Growth of Adventure Travel and Eco-Tourism, The World Congress on Adventure Travel and Eco-Tourism, November, 1993
- Recreation Law - An Overview, Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., September, 1993
- Limiting Your Liability - Legal Fundamentals For Your Retail Survival, Outdoor Retailer, August, 1993
- Liability Issues In Adventure Travel and Eco-Tourism, 1992 World Congress on Adventure Travel and Eco-Tourism, November, 1992
- Colorado Marine Dealers Association
- American Wildlands
- Colorado Humane Society
- Colorado Humane Society, Denver, Colorado
- Omni Bank, Denver, Colorado
- Colorado Marine Dealers Association
- Opening New Doors to the Outdoors, Golden, Colorado, 2007
- Presenter, Recreation and Adventure Law and Liability, Declaratory Judgment Actions, Insurance Coverage, 2006
- Presenter, Recreation and Adventure Law and Liability, Adventure and Recreation Industry, 2005
- Presenter, Recreation and Adventure Law and Liability, Adventure and Recreation Industry, 2004
- Presenter, Adventures in Travel Expo, New York, New York
- Presenter, Recreation and Adventure Law and Liability, Vail, Colorado, 2003
- Presenter, International Adventure Travel and Outdoor Show, Chicago, Illinois, 2001 - 2002
- Speaker, World Congress on Adventure Travel and Ecotourism, Anchorage, Alaska, 2000
- Clifton Gunderson Seminar, Broomfield, Colorado, 1999
- Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys, Denver, Colorado, 1999
- Speaker, Conference on Travel, Events and Management in Sports, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., 1998
- Speaker, Teaming for Success: A Forum on Sport Tourism, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., 1997
- America Outdoors Conference, America Outdoors Business Operations and Compliance Manual, Jekyll Island, Georgia, 1996
- Speaker, Interbike, Anaheim, California and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Speaker, Western Association of Athletic Clubs, Copper Mountain, Colorado, 1996
- National Outdoor Industry Rendezvous, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 1996
- Speaker, America Outdoors Conference, Reno, Nevada, 1995
- Speaker, Outdoor Retailer Winter Market, Reno, Nevada, 1995
- Speaker, National Institute of Accountants, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- Chairman and Speaker, World Congress on Adventure Travel and Eco-Tourism, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 1994
- Speaker, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1994
- Speaker, International Forum of Travel and Tourism Advocates, 1993
- Speaker, Colorado Outdoor Recreation Project, Denver, CO., 1993
- Speaker, OmniBancorp Conference, Denver, CO, 1989
- Contributing Editor and Columnist, American Bicyclist Magazine, 1997 - 1999
- Contributing Editor and Columnist, Adventure Travel Business Magazine, 1997 - 1999
Honors and Awards
- Selected to National Directory of Who's Who in Executives and Professionals, 1994 - 2008
- Drafted Tort Reform Legislation Limiting Liability of River Rafting Outfitters in Colorado, 1994
- Selected as an Expert on Recreation Law to Appear on the Nationally Televised Premier Show of Miller's Law, 1993
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Denver Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- International Law Society
- Colorado Real Estate Commission
Past Employment Positions
- RiverReach Youth Initiative, Chairman and Founder
- American Mountain Guides Association, Board Member
- Adventure Travel Society, Former Chairman of the Board and General Counsel
- The Connecticut Insurance Group (Program was Discontinued), Former National Defense Counsel for Outfitters and Guides Insurance Program
- American Wildlands, An International Non-Profit Organization, Former Advisory Board of Trustees
- Denver Rail Heritage Society, Former Board Member
- Arapahoe Community College, Colorado Springs, CO, Former Advisory Board Member
- Alpenglow Mountainsport, Inc., Former Board Member and Founder